Last winter French Elle has published an installment on layering perfumes, giving helpful tips and providing eleven different suggestions. I indicate with an asterisk (*) the combinations I particularly liked. The translation from French is my own.
How to Layer
If you follow these basic rules, you will quickly learn the art of layering. So, it is your turn to play!
Choose scents that have something in common: for example, green notes, an accord of roses or an oriental vanilla base.
Have fun mixing a heady and tenacious perfume with another that is light and airy, like a citrus cologne.
Instead of choosing the same two concentrations of scent, first spray an eau de parfum in two or three places (wrist, neck, etc.) and then, for the amplified sillage, finish with a spritz of an eau de toilette.
You can also choose a complex composition (which is the case with most major classics) and add another perfume that is much simpler: a rose will do wonders layered with a patchouli.
Finally, play with textures. First, apply a body lotion on arms and chest, and once dressed, spray another fragrance behind the ears and inside the wrists.
1. New Refinement – Christian Dior Miss Dior body cream + Fan di Fendi Eau de Parfum
*2. So Chic – Chanel No 19 Body Lotion (Emulsion pour le Corps) + Prada Infusion d’Iris (I tried this layering combination with Chanel No 19 EDT, and it worked really well, making for a fantastic rich, green iris.
3. Eastern Heat – Stendhal Ambre Sublime body cream (Crème Sublime pour le Corps) + Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
*4. Bobo New Genre – Juliette Has a Gun + The Body Shop White Musk Body Cream, an interesting musky amber.
*5. Fruity Gourmand – Juicy Couture + Jo Malone Orange Blossom lotion
*6. Grand Style – Yves Rocher Vanille Noire + Guerlain Shalimar Body Milk (Lait Divin pour le Corps)
7. Fashion Delight – Chanel Cristalle Body Emulsion + Balenciaga Eau de Parfum
*8. Futuristic Dazzle – Thierry Mugler Womanity Eau de Parfum + Serge Lutens Féminité du Bois Eau de Parfum (somewhat too sweet for my tastes, but interesting nevertheless)
9. The Eighteenth Garden – by Kilian Love and Tears Eau de Parfum + Annick Goutal Eau d’Hadrien body cream
10. Ultra-Hot – Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Moisturizing Emulsion + Eau de Parfum Intense Play for Her by Givenchy
11. Spiritual Trip – Caron Parfum Sacré + Narciso Rodriguez Essence body cream (Crème Corps Parfumée)
Image: Woman Pouring Perfume into Flask fresco, 1st Century, from Villa Farnesina.