Thinking of You

I woke up to heavy skies and a veil of rain and the first thing I did was to turn on the news. I may be on the other side of the Atlantic, but New York feels more like home than any other place. I will be taking a break from blogging for the rest of the week.  With so many of my friends and family struggling in the aftermath of the hurricane, I find it hard to focus on anything else right now.

So, to all my readers on the East Coast affected by the hurricane, I’m thinking of you and hope that you are safe and warm.

Update: The New Jersey area took a major hit in the hurricane, and it’s heartbreaking to see large swathes of the coastline completely destroyed. My husband and I just contributed to a charity involved in relief efforts. I know that I’m far away from my loved ones, but it feels good to do something to help them recover faster. If you would like to provide donations to the American Red Cross, click here. If you live in the area, there are other ways you can help: donation and volunteering_options.

Photography by Bois de Jasmin. This pigeon keeps landing on the windowsill outside my office. The way he looks quizzically at me as I smell the blotters or type on my computer makes me smile. It’s as if he’s checking up on me daily.

• Archived under: News

• Lucas: Let’s hope everyone is safe. I’ve got many friends in the US. October 31, 2012 at 9:05am Reply

• Victoria: Keeping fingers crossed for everyone! November 1, 2012 at 5:44am Reply

• Anna Minis: This must be very difficult for you. I hope that your family and friends are safe. October 31, 2012 at 9:16am Reply

• Victoria: Thank you, Anna! They are safe, but many don’t have power or hot water, so it’s hard (especially for those who have small children). November 1, 2012 at 5:45am Reply

• Anne Sheffield: My toughts and prayers to those in difficulties on the East Coast. New York took a serious battering, but as the greatest city in the world it will rise stronger from it. October 31, 2012 at 9:22am Reply

• Victoria: It will! The spirit of NYC is impressive. November 1, 2012 at 5:46am Reply

• Zazie: I share your wishes.

I know for experience that it is tough when events of any sort are threating places and people we love, and we are too far away to be of immediate practical help.
    So my thoughts go to you, too… October 31, 2012 at 10:13am Reply

• Victoria: Thank you! Yes, being far away and not being able to help directly is the most frustrating thing. November 1, 2012 at 5:46am Reply

• Jillie: Just echoing everyone else’s words. It’s so hard for you being so far away. Our thoughts are with you and all those affected. October 31, 2012 at 11:05am Reply

• Victoria: It was so scary watching the news. It is a major disaster. Thank you for your thoughts, Jillie! November 1, 2012 at 5:47am Reply

• Daisy: Thanks for the thoughts, Victoria! Thankfully, everyone I know is safe and sound. It’s like a city divided though right now: downtown is a mess, and uptown is relatively normal. Hope that normality returns sooner rather than later, but it looks like we are in for a long haul! October 31, 2012 at 11:39am Reply

• Victoria: Oh, I’m so glad to hear from you and glad that you’re ok! Hope that you got the power back. November 1, 2012 at 5:48am Reply

• Daisy: Not yet. They are saying not till the weekend… Am warm and comfortable at my friend’s on the UES, but just want to go home and sleep in my own bed. November 1, 2012 at 4:02pm Reply

• Nancy A.: Hi V,

First opportunity getting back online and welcoming your review in the midst of a horrific and unfathomable situation. New Jersey took an extreme hit by the surge and NY faces a very slow comeback. Lower Manhattan, subways and streets underwater. West Virginia was affected by 30 inches of snow and still coming. President Obama will be surveying the damage NJ today. As for New Yorkers, it’s a combination in my own interpretation of 911 and Katrina! It’s been extremely emotional and for all the BdJ readers thanks for the good thoughts. Several Belgian students were inerviewed briefly prior to Sandy’s entry and mentioned they never experienced hurricanes. October 31, 2012 at 1:12pm Reply

• Victoria: Good to hear from you too, Nancy! I was thinking how you were doing.

I remember my first hurricane experience in North Carolina and how utterly frightening it was. Until then I didn’t even have a clear idea of what a hurricane was. November 1, 2012 at 5:49am Reply

• fleurdelys: I live about 25 miles north of NYC. While we got very little rain and weren’t affected by the tideal surge, the high winds knocked over a lot of trees, cutting off power to hundreds of thousands of people, and, sadly, killing some. I’m feeling fortunate that my husband and I are OK and have no property damage. Loss of power is an inconvenience, but at least we have a woodstove that we can cook on and which keeps the house from freezing. October 31, 2012 at 3:05pm Reply

• Victoria: A woodstove must be a godsend at times like these! Glad that you’re safe and warm. November 1, 2012 at 5:50am Reply

• behemot: Alll my friends on the East Coast are ok. Hope your dear ones are fine! October 31, 2012 at 3:08pm Reply

• Victoria: Thank you, they are pulling through. You know, my mom is visiting us this weekend, and we were worried that she may not be able to get through (her original flight was through NYC). In the end, she changed her flight, and she’s coming! I’m so happy. November 1, 2012 at 5:53am Reply

• LuxuryObsessed: Thank you so much for your kind words. We are surviving in NYC without power. It seems it could be another four days. We are survivors. October 31, 2012 at 6:32pm Reply

• Victoria: My thoughts are with you! Hope that everything will be restored as soon as possible. November 1, 2012 at 5:53am Reply

• Euphrosyne: Victoria (and to all the perfumistas out there):

I hope your loved ones are well and are able to put back their lives to some semblance of normal as soon as possible. October 31, 2012 at 9:09pm Reply

• Victoria: Thank you very much! All of your positive thoughts count. November 1, 2012 at 5:54am Reply

• kaori: Hoping your family and friends and all BdJ readers ones are safe.

I saw the news showing how devastating on the TV.

Kaori October 31, 2012 at 11:29pm Reply

• Victoria: Thank you, Kaori! I managed to get a hold of everyone, so they are ok, just without power. November 1, 2012 at 5:55am Reply

• solanace: A storm like that is so scary. Hope your friends and family are all safe, V! November 1, 2012 at 4:03am Reply

• Victoria: It is! They are usually very powerful, but this year’s is especially so. November 1, 2012 at 5:56am Reply

• Alyssa: I am with you on the watching and waiting front, dear V., just glued to news and Twitter. (The Times has done a spectacular job.) It’s very strange to see images of streets I walked down a week ago submerged under water–even more so for you. Yesterday afternoon I finally heard from a friend I’d been worried about. Such a relief. And so many New Yorkers seem to be out and about with their usual bravado. But it looks like the recovery story will continue for a long time. November 1, 2012 at 7:55am Reply

• Barbara: I know what you mean! My family and I visited New York only a couple of months ago. November 1, 2012 at 9:14am Reply

• Victoria: New Yorkers have a great spirit, but you’re right, it’s not going to be an overnight recovery. The devastation along the NJ coastline is almost difficult to comprehend. November 1, 2012 at 3:46pm Reply

• Barbara: My heart goes out to everyone in NY and NY area. It is hard to see the damage on the news. November 1, 2012 at 9:12am Reply

• Victoria: The magnitude of it is really devastating. November 1, 2012 at 3:47pm Reply

• HB: Wishing you and your loved ones well. This is a frightful time – I still haven’t heard from everyone we know there. Truly amazing to see the devastation and so odd how one half the city is (relatively) unscathed.

Sending good and peaceful thoughts for a quick recovery to all affected by the storm. November 1, 2012 at 10:08am Reply

• Victoria: I hope that you hear soon from all of your friends and that they are ok.

My uptown friends are doing better, downtown has definitely took a bigger hit. November 1, 2012 at 3:48pm Reply

• Zaggora Girl: We hope everyone is safe and okay, we’ve got loads of family and friends in the US, and this is just terrible news, as well as frightening.

By the way, that pigeon looks cute and friendly, think of taking him inside? :) November 1, 2012 at 10:10am Reply

• Victoria: He didn’t look terribly interested in that. :) November 1, 2012 at 3:48pm Reply

• Zaggora Girl: Oh! He probably wanted to be free and fly around then! :) November 6, 2012 at 11:07am Reply

• Elizabeth: We were very lucky. I am in upper Manhattan and all we had were strong winds and a few downed trees. The Hudson overflowed its banks but did not come near our building. We didn’t even lose power up here. But the news from elsewhere in the region is frightening. I have been wearing Ambre Fetiche for the past week, and I find it very comforting. November 1, 2012 at 10:15am Reply

• Victoria: I’m glad to hear from you, Elizabeth! Glad that you’re warm, dry, and unscathed. And I’m happy that Ambre Fetiche is a winner for you! November 1, 2012 at 3:49pm Reply

• caroline: The news reports of all the damage was heartbreaking. My prayers go out to them.

I love that picture of the pigeon. Reminds me of the pigeon outside the Plaza Hotel in Eloise in Paris. November 1, 2012 at 11:40am Reply

• Victoria: He lands there pretty much every morning, paces back and forth and looks like that at me. It makes me smile, even if I’m under a pressure of a deadline or stressed out for some reason. November 1, 2012 at 3:51pm Reply

• Naheed: Praying for everyone’s safety including the furry critters. I love pigeons and that’s why I love this photo, Victoria. Peace November 1, 2012 at 12:07pm Reply

• Victoria: Thank you so much, Naheed! November 1, 2012 at 3:51pm Reply

• Merlin: Just wanted to send my sympathies (all the way from Africa.) I don’t know which areas of the US my perfume buddies live in so I’m just holding thumbs for everyone. November 1, 2012 at 12:11pm Reply

• Victoria: Thank you, Merlin! I’m doing the same thing. November 1, 2012 at 3:54pm Reply

• cryptic: I’m in suburban Philadelphia and only had to cope with a short power outage. Lots of friends in NY and NJ are dealing with far worse. If you live in the area, please consider donating blood. The supply is dangerously low. November 1, 2012 at 2:33pm Reply

• Victoria: I just updated the post with the info on donation and other options to help. November 1, 2012 at 3:57pm Reply

• cryptic: That’s extremely helpful. Thank you, Victoria. November 1, 2012 at 5:23pm Reply

• OperaFan: I live 10 miles inland from the Jersey Shore. If you’ve been watching the news, the entire length of the ocean front has been decimated. Where I live there is still massive power outtage affecting traffic (no lights), businesses due to shortage of fuel supplies, and individual homes. I have a friend unable to get out of his house because a fallen tree has prevented car movement.

We count ourselves very blessed that our house was not damaged beyond a piece of loosened siding, and a fallen pine (5-6 stories) aimed directly at our house was stopped by large branches of an oak tree. Hopefully it will hold until a tree service can come by to remove it.

If anyone is able and would like to help, please donate to the Red Cross. I know that any amount is helpful. Prayers are also gladly accepted. November 1, 2012 at 3:06pm Reply

• Victoria: I’m so relieved to hear from you, I remembered that you were in the NJ area and wondered whether you were ok.

I added a link to the Red Cross charity involved with the relief efforts (and a link to some other ways to help that the New Jersey Ledger recommended). November 1, 2012 at 3:59pm Reply

• OperaFan: Dear V – Thanks so much! I just refreshed the page and saw your update and link.

I know how helpless it can feel to be so far away. My church is in Asbury Park, and the ocean is within view. Although the church survived, I’m not sure how well the neighborhood held up. No doubt some members of our congregation have suffered serious property losses. I’ll be looking for opportunities to volunteer in the coming weeks and perhaps, months.

Hoping all your loved ones are accounted for.
        – Hugs November 1, 2012 at 5:32pm Reply

• Elaine: I also just made a donation to the Red Cross. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. November 1, 2012 at 6:19pm Reply

• Victoria: Thank you so much, Elaine! November 2, 2012 at 2:56am Reply

• Victoria: Thank you! They are doing ok, at least they are safe right now. The family members that don’t have heat are moving in with those who do. So, there are so ways to manage. :) November 2, 2012 at 3:00am Reply

• Andy: Just wanted to say that my heart goes out to all those affected by the hurricane. I don’t live far from the coast here in southern New Jersey, so we were very fortunate to sustain no property damage aside from some downed tree limbs. I am still in awe of the amount of damage done on our shores, as it’s really very unusual for our area of the East Coast. November 1, 2012 at 4:36pm Reply

• Victoria: I am too! It’s so surprising for this area. Thank you for letting me know that you and your family are ok. November 2, 2012 at 3:02am Reply

• Austenfan: My very best wishes to all of those involved! November 1, 2012 at 5:27pm Reply

• Victoria: I find it hard to look at the familiar areas devastated like this. November 2, 2012 at 2:58am Reply

• Poodle: I can’t imagine what those people are going through. We got through without any real damage where I am. I was worried about trees falling though. It’s going to be a long recovery but I hope they can get back to some sort of normal life soon in the areas severely affected. My thoughts and prayers are with them all. November 1, 2012 at 7:22pm Reply

• Victoria: Good to hear that you and your community are ok! Keeping fingers crossed that the recovery will be swift. It must be awful to be without basic amenities, especially now that the weather is turning colder and colder. November 2, 2012 at 2:56am Reply

• Ada: My thoughts and prayers are with with everyone affected by the hurricane. Those terrible images of New York flooded and the destruction of areas of New Jersey were surreal. Thank you Victoria for underlining the importance of contribuiting through the Red Cross. November 2, 2012 at 2:54am Reply

• Victoria: Surreal is the right word! I felt the same way. November 2, 2012 at 2:55am Reply

• Ann-Sofie: A terrible devastation, the most saddening would be the people who got hurt or died, and all those who lost their homes. I am so sorry. November 2, 2012 at 6:24am Reply

• mirian: I only got power back 45 minutes ago! luckily i was unscathed, but the surrounding area is destroyed. November 2, 2012 at 10:46am Reply

© Copyright 2005-2014 Bois de Jasmin. All rights reserved.