Recommend Me a Perfume : July 2021

Our “Recommend Me a Perfume” thread is open this week. You can use this space to find perfume recommendations, to share your discoveries and favorite scents, and to ask any questions about scents, aromas and flavors. Or you can just tell us what perfume you are wearing and what book you are reading.

How does it work: 1. Please post your requests or questions as comments here. You can also use this space to ask any fragrance related questions. To receive recommendations that are better tailored to your tastes, you can include details on what you like and don’t like, your signature perfumes, and your budget. And please let us know what you end up sampling. 2. Then please check the thread to see if there are other requests you can answer. Your responses are really valuable for navigating the big and sometimes confusing world of perfume, so let’s help each other!

To make this thread easier to read, when you reply to someone, please click on the blue “reply” link under their comment.

• Teresa: When the weather is hot and humid, I reach for Hermes Un Jardin Sue le Nile. Light, lovely and refreshing. July 26, 2021 at 9:13am Reply

• Marcy: Thanks – I’ll give that a try Theresa. July 26, 2021 at 9:43am Reply

• Teresa: Typo. Should be “Sur le Nile” July 26, 2021 at 10:02am Reply

• Cathy B.: I had a small sample of this a few years ago and quickly used the entire sample. I really need to purchase a bottle!❤ July 27, 2021 at 12:44pm Reply

• Marcy: I’ve been wearing gourmands for almost two years – I’d like something sweet and fresh in a floral – nothing astringent, soapy or one-note, no tuberose, easy on the gardenia and/or rose. In other words, a gentle, romantic, feminine bouquet. Thanks! July 26, 2021 at 9:14am Reply

• Cornelia Blimber: I think you may love Gabrielle (the original), or
      Quel Amour! (Goutal). July 26, 2021 at 10:47am Reply

• Cornelia Blimber: Gabrielle has some tuberose, but very weak and soft. July 26, 2021 at 10:49am Reply

• Marcy: Thanks Cornelia – those sound great – and I haven’t really thought of Goutal in years. I’ll go test both those suggestions. thank you. July 26, 2021 at 10:52am Reply

• Jeanne: You might enjoy Sublime Balkiss by The Different Company. I love wearing it to work in the summer. Sheer, light opening and seems to be a light citrus/floral/musk. Compliments for this one as well! July 26, 2021 at 12:13pm Reply

• Marcy: Thank you – I never would have known about this brand. Will seek it out. July 26, 2021 at 1:52pm Reply

• Jeanne: Do check out the notes for Sublime Balkiss:

“Beginning notes of blueberry and bergamot fade into a floral heart of damascus rose and lilac held in place by a base of cocoa powder, creating a delectable fragrance that will turn heads and garner attention.”

Jean-Claude Ellena’s daughter’s company! July 26, 2021 at 5:29pm Reply

• Jeanne: *I believe this is Jean-Claude Ellena’s company, and his daughter, is one of the in-house perfumers. July 30, 2021 at 12:43pm Reply

• Nina Z: Lys Mediteranee from Frederic Malle is a beautiful fresh and sheer lily scent. Such a great summer scent. I’m obsessed with it right now. July 26, 2021 at 12:48pm Reply

• Marcy: Thanks Nina – this sounds like a must-try!
        Marcy July 26, 2021 at 1:15pm Reply

• OnWingsofSaffron: I’d like to offer a different perspective on Lys Mediteranée: I personally like it but find it to be quite a powerhouse and definitely wouldn‘t call it sheer. Also, those lily scents can have carnal aspect, and I mean quite literally: Luca Turin mentions Parma ham. Perhaps try a tester before blind buying. July 27, 2021 at 3:03am Reply

• Sebastian: It’s worth quoting that “ham” passage in full, as this perfume has generated interest several times over the last few installments of this blog. So here goes Luca Turin in his A to Z guide:

I remember once, at the height of summer, passing through the village of Saint-Emilion, where every vine is pampered like the mane of a dressage horse and every building stone orthodontically perfect, and entering the imposing village church. In a gesture of thanks for an act of divine grace, someone had filled the church with large white-and-purple lilies, hundreds of them shouting their fragrance in the confined space. The smell was so intense that it distorted into something else, and it took me a while to figure out what. Then I suddenly saw it: salami. There is a fleshy, salty, hammy quality to fresh lilies that sets them apart from other white flowers. The two great perfumery lilies of the moment are Lys Méditerranée and Donna Karan Gold (q.v.). Lys Méditerranée is more true to life, with a wonderful, powdery rasp and that strange sensation that lilies give that the smell is about to fall apart into its component parts any minute. A brilliant study in painting smell from nature from the great Edouard Fléchier. July 27, 2021 at 12:28pm Reply

• OnWingsofSaffron: In Luca Turin‘s & Sanchez’ Guide 2018 there is further mention of „meaty loveliness“ in their review of Antonio Alessandria‘s „Fleurs et Flammes“, an almond lily fragrance.
            However, in response to Nina Z‘s first comment: I would like to stress that I really do like and second your recommendation! And I certainly didn‘t want to make light of your choice! I only wanted to suggest an alternative reading of that perfume.
            I firmly believe that these multi-facetted fragrances are the really interesting ones!! July 27, 2021 at 3:04pm Reply

• Sebastian: Indeed! Though I must say I don’t share LT’s sensibility, at last not in this respect, and find that passage that I quoted entirely ludicrous. (Lys Méditerranée is one of my favorite perfumes, so I might be a bit ungracious here.) July 30, 2021 at 3:42pm Reply

• CC: With you here, I love LT’s writing but have worn Lys for years and have no clue what he is on about. August 16, 2021 at 9:48pm Reply

• Karina: Some suggestions…
      Aerin Eclat de Vert (I think the Aerin scents are probably all the definition of the gentle, romantic bouquet style)
      Etro Viccolo Fiori
      Goutal Le Chevrefeuille
      Hermes Twilly – I know it’s Tuberose, but it’s really a very nice, tame sort. Worth a try.
      Floris Bouquet de la Reine
      Parfums Nicolai Odalisque
      Parfums Nicolai Sacrebleu
      Guerlain Chant de Aromes July 26, 2021 at 1:44pm Reply

• rickyrebarco: Fior Fiore by L’Eau d’Italie and The Wonder of You by ALTAIA. Light and fresh florals and the ALTAIA has a fresh grapefruit note also that works great with the floral notes. July 27, 2021 at 12:04am Reply

• Joe Goh: New to this site! I’m a 41 year old guy living in hot and sunny, rainy and tropical Singapore. I’ve restarted my fascination with perfumes last month after a decade+ long break and I’ve collected thus far in the last month or so:
    – Chanel Sycomore, my night time dressy scent
    – Chanel 1957, my daytime dressy scent
    – Penhaligon’s Blazing Mister Sam, my date scent
    – Aesop Marrakech Intense, my day time T-shirt and jeans scent
    – Encre Noir layered with Encre Noir A L’Extreme, my night time T-shirt and jeans scent

I also own Chanel Gardenia (originally purchased for my girlfriend but she doesn’t quite like it so now I wear it when I want a white floral scent. I quite like it, but I wish it’s less sweet?), Acqua Di Parma Colonia Essenza (blind buy, I think it’s overrated), Bentley for Men Intense (blind buy too, I feel too that it’s overrated), Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (from the 90’s, given to me by a friend, girlfriend loves it on me but I don’t haha).

Recommend me fragrances to try? I have a budget of around $500 or so. I’m keen to explore spicy perfumes and white floral perfumes, but I’m open minded about any that are recommended to me.

Last book I read was “What’s Wrong with Mindfulness” (heh). July 26, 2021 at 10:38am Reply

• katherine: How about Beige? It’s one of the Chanel Exclusifs. Beautiful floral. July 26, 2021 at 2:28pm Reply

• Marianne: Oh! And a recent book: Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. Beautiful. August 10, 2021 at 7:56pm Reply

• Emily: @Joe Goh

White florals:
      If you haven’t tried Frederic Malle’s Carnal Flower yet, do it – the greenest of the tuberose masterpieces, lush but elegant. Also recommend Hiram Green’s Moon Bloom, an all natural sunny tuberose, blooms beautifully in humid heat. If you want to go full powerhouse, Rogue Perfumery’s Jasmin Antique & Dusita’s Melodie d’Amour are utterly rapturous.

Happy sniffing! July 26, 2021 at 2:33pm Reply

• ROBIN: Chanel No.22 from the Les Excusifs collection is a classic white floral. It’s gorgeous! I live in hot and sunny Los Angeles and I often wear it. July 26, 2021 at 4:06pm Reply

• Aurora: Hi Joe:

For a spicy perfume Trayee is quite wonderful if rather pricey. July 27, 2021 at 12:52pm Reply

• Eudora: Hi Joe! With that good taste and budget I recommend you to try Hermes’s Hermessence line. Almost all of them are amazing, top quality, in my humble opinion the very best you can find. Class. And they came in small bottles you can mix to make a 4 or 5 gift box.
      Poivre Samarcande, Vetiver Tonka…but really almost everything is sublime. July 27, 2021 at 5:19pm Reply

• Marianne: I’d like to recommend a long term favourite of mine for hot weather and any time really. Sisley’s Eau de Soir in my view manages to be both sparkling fresh and light like sunshine, as well as elegant and ‘grounded’. I’ve yet to find a better perfume actually even though very interested in exploring others. The Floris range intrigues me. I was given a bottle of Jermyn Street and love its quality although I wouldn’t have bought it for myself. It reminds me of a powerful beautiful cologne. In previous years I also wore Habit Rouge when on holidays in the sun. August 10, 2021 at 7:52pm Reply

• Cornelia Blimber: I am very fond of the Oxford Classic paperbacks. Printed in clear type, affordable,
    explanatory notes. And plenty of Victorian novels.
    Penguin Classics are good as well, but the type is rather grey, not so easy on the eye.
    Currently reading M. E. Braddon: Lady Audley’s Secret.
    Wearing Black Opium (maybe not the best perfume in the world, but I like it, on a rainy day). July 26, 2021 at 10:44am Reply

• Eric: Eric S: I have been sampling perfumes from TRNP in Australia. Two of them, quite different from one another, are wonderful to me. Arjuna is a sharp, green, woody floral that envelops and intoxicates. Agura is a dark, deep, oud infused chypre that is very grounding and transporting at the same time. These are all natural and therefor more ephemeral than many perfumes. I hope you have a chance to sample them sometime. July 26, 2021 at 10:55am Reply

• katherine: They sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing. August 5, 2021 at 7:07pm Reply

• John: I have been wearing the same fragrance every day lately (something I don’t ordinarily do), Guerlain Vetiver. Something has switched, and I find myself much more conscious of its beauty than I was before. I have been wondering about layering it with a dab of Khus oil. Does anyone have experience with this?

I am reading Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre, a book I remember from my teenage years but have never read… it is much better than I thought it would be! I have also just started Kazuo Ishiguro’s new book, Klara and the Sun… his books always take time for me to get into (my reality has to adjust), but he is a favourite of mine. I am also reading a few tales from Ovid because they feel so right for summer, kind of elemental, unraveling, and a bit cruel in a way that reminds you of what it is to be human.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have! July 26, 2021 at 10:56am Reply

• Kitty: John, my husband is reading the same book and talks about it nonstop ! July 26, 2021 at 7:03pm Reply

• Sebastian: That is a coincidence, I have also been getting back to the classics and am reading Lucretius, De rerum natura. It is always good for me to see how much of what I believe are my own unique experience and thought has already been experienced and thought of. And if not, how much of it can be reinterpreted in that light.

In a more relaxed vein, I’m reading “Monschau” by Steffen Kopetzky. A novel about a small pox outbreak in provincial post-war Germany. Very apropos to these times, but not written with Corona in mind. Great entertainment, well-researched, and written with flourish and style.

With regard to perfume, I have completely and utterly fallen in love with Amouage Gold Man. I wanted to give away my sample and retested it just to remind me. I don’t know what I ever had against it, now I’m hooked. Great soapy-floral-animalic theater from the 80’s. Perhaps I’m having a midlife crisis. July 27, 2021 at 7:32am Reply

• Sara: These days, I find my mindset and my love of scent settling down. After sampling many much-loved and “hyped” perfumes, I’m going back to basics; I’m considering more carefully what I have in my own collection and remembering to love those scents and especially to explore them more deeply, rather than hunting down the next one. I find that, when I get new perfumes regularly, I appreciate all of my fragrances less and less, and I start to get more cynical about what’s out there in general. I think this may be a natural psychological response to plenty, rather than a true reflection of what’s out there. But in any case it has given me pause.

One scent that I have fallen back in love with in my collection is L’Ombre dans l’Eau, by Diptyque. I have the EDT (haven’t tried the EDP yet), and the tomato vine aspect coupled with the crisp watery facet and the rose is just magical. I would recommend it to those who are searching to a way to connect with the warm season and the greenery of summer.

I’d love to hear what other fragrances people use to celebrate the season, wherever that is and whatever that looks like to you. July 26, 2021 at 12:12pm Reply

• Johaboha: I also love just wearing the scents that I own and giving them space to reveal themselves! Whenever I ordered samples I was maybe expecting the scents to win me over too quickly and was ultimately a bit let down. I love wearing Un Jardin sur la lagune this summer as it is so versatile and goes from day to night and office to nature and rainy to hot summer days. July 27, 2021 at 4:35pm Reply

• Sara: I’d like to try that one. I haven’t seen it in stores near me (the fragrance selections in stores where I live is somewhat limited), and I’m pretty shy about “blind buying”. I will be moving soon and hope to try it in my new city!

I agree that, when sampling, it’s easy to want to be won over quickly. There’s undoubtedly a dopamine rush when we have a “love at first sniff” moment that then lasts, and we keep on rushing to get more! I try to keep this in mind, but being a perfume enthusiast, I will likely always keep searching for new loves. It is still beautiful to do. But it’s also beautiful to revisit true and true loves. August 1, 2021 at 9:42am Reply

• Karina: You‘ve inspired me to go back to my old old bottle of L‘Ombre and give it another go. July 31, 2021 at 5:21am Reply

• Sara: I’m glad to have inspired you, Karina! I hope you enjoy it. I wonder if you have tried both EDT and EDP versions. If so, I’d love to get your thoughts! August 1, 2021 at 9:43am Reply

• Elizabeth: I’m reading The Seine: The River That Made Paris by Elaine Sciolino, enhanced by Diptyque’s Olene EDT. Next best thing to being in Paris! July 26, 2021 at 12:45pm Reply

• Marcy: Btw – I’m re-reading The Secret Garden, The Fountainhead, and a sweet treasure called The Sound of Violet. July 26, 2021 at 1:18pm Reply

• Emily: Wearing a whole lot of Eau des Merveilles interspersed with cold slaps of 4711 from the fridge & reading Lakewood by Megan Giddings, a steadily mounting creep-of-dread thriller that I cannot recommend enough. July 26, 2021 at 2:14pm Reply

• katherine x: How about Beige? It’s one of the Chanel Exclusifs. Beautiful floral. July 26, 2021 at 2:27pm Reply

• An: I have been really enjoying a scented candle from a local manufacturer. It’s a sandalwood-black pepper-citrus combo.
    I was wondering if you have any fragrance recommendations in the same vein? It can be these same notes or just generally a spicy-woody thing with a bit of freshness/brightness. July 26, 2021 at 3:11pm Reply

• Karina: Spicy-woody options could be Tam Dao, 10 Corso Como or Timbuktu. Or even something with Vetiver? Like Terre D Hermes… July 28, 2021 at 6:16am Reply

• MaryAnn Popper Hardy: If I have to go out, I reach for Eau de Rochas in the summer for its burst of fresh sparkle and easy to live with citrus. People never fail to comment on how “good” it smells. It seems to be one of those fragrances that just can’t offend anyone. If I’m at home, I can go to my cupboard of essential oils and dab and layer whatever suits my fancy. Last week it was “Fir Needle” and at night “Honey.” From New Directions Aromatics, which here in Canada supplies the highest quality oils and products. I’m reluctant to spend over $100 on a blind buy, but If I had access to a parfumerie, oh the fun I could have. Books? Right now I’m working my way through a 12″ high stack of New Yorker Magazines, for their great short stories and insightful articles.

Recommend me, please: other very fresh fragrances like Eau de Rochas. July 26, 2021 at 3:12pm Reply

• ROBIN: I find Eau de Neroli by Diptique to be very fresh and uplifting. It’s easy to wear and makes me happy in the heat and humidity we are experiencing now. (For the last three weeks)! July 26, 2021 at 4:16pm Reply

• MaryAnn Popper Hardy: Thank you for the suggestion! July 26, 2021 at 6:24pm Reply

• OnWingsofSaffron: If you by chance like Eaux de Cologne you might enjoy Nicolaï‘s „Cap Néroli“: I think it‘s substantial for an EdC-style scent and got two nice compliments when wearing it last time! July 27, 2021 at 3:10am Reply

• Eudora: Mary Ann, I know I am not answering you but I am enjoying Eau de Rochas so much this Summer, de Cologne as much as the Scented Body Milk, have you tried it? I strongly recommend, it’s slightly different in scent, a joy after a shower. July 27, 2021 at 3:35pm Reply

• Eudora: Now I am answering, I recommend Chanel Cristalle and…how about another classic like Eau de Lancome? July 27, 2021 at 3:40pm Reply

• Eudora: And…if you’re based in the US I recommend Pacifica’s Lilacs! I cannot find it in Europe and miss it a lot. I used to buy a bottle every year when traveling to the US but, well…it is lovely, what do you think? July 27, 2021 at 3:46pm Reply

• Lucky: Hi Eudora, you can get the 10ml rollerball of Pacifica French Lilac from Holland and Barrett (the health food shop website) if you’re in the UK or from Holland & Barrett.ie for the rest of Europe. I know it’s not the same as a full bottle but it might be better than nothing! It is, as you say, very lovely. Just a realistic, fresh,charming, lilac soliflore. July 31, 2021 at 2:50pm Reply

• Eudora: Thanks Lucky for the info! It is really charming as you say. I will explore the web, I am not familiar with it.
          Do you enjoy other lilac perfumes or colognes?
          Thanks again! July 31, 2021 at 3:53pm Reply

• Ria: You’re very welcome! I really enjoy 4711 Lilac eau de cologne-it has a slightly fizzy, effervescent quality you don’t usually associate with lilac. The new Issey Miyake seems promising, but as yet I’ve only smelled it on paper! Will have to get a proper sample but it seems like a powdery and comforting lilac. Kind of old-school but I like that sometimes! August 3, 2021 at 7:25am Reply

• Eudora: Dear Ria, powder and lilacs sounds lovely. I would love to know your impressions of the new Miyake. I did not know it was new. I am living in the middle of nowhere so I would really appreciate your feedback. I have that 4711 Cologne in my radar now. THANKS. August 9, 2021 at 10:23am Reply

• Ria (akaLucky): Hi Eudora, you’re welcome. I’ve been testing A Drop d’Issey now more thoroughly and finding it to be, for me at least, a very soothing and calming scent. It has a good deal of almond milk and heliotrope which add to the soft fuzziness of its powdery lilac. (Just for clarification,it doesn’t resemble any of the L’eaux d’Issey, it’s not aquatic or calonic,to my nose anyway.) Lasts well on my skin (which generally eats perfume),projection isn’t huge but radiates within a gentle bubble. Hope this description is informative! Regards, August 11, 2021 at 2:43pm Reply

• Eudora: Ria, your description is informative and very appreciated. Thanks for taking your time. Now I know I won’t forget to try it when I have the chance. Sounds promising…almond is a plus!
                  THANKS. August 11, 2021 at 5:48pm Reply

• Johaboha: Cristalle EdT from Chanel reminds me of eau de Rochas in its dry mossy freshness… a very fresh cologne I love during the heat is aqua di Sicilia from Santa Maria Novella and it is very long-lasting. Smells like a lemon drop you eat in a sunny bay in Sicily July 27, 2021 at 3:55pm Reply

• MaryAnn Popper Hardy: Thank you…Thank you ALL for lovely suggestions. I’m based in Canada on Vancouver Island, so we are limited here. HOWEVER… there are on-line sources which have been very handy to use. I can’t wait to try some new fresh fragrances. July 27, 2021 at 4:00pm Reply

• Tara C: Where are you on the island? I’m in Qualicum Beach. 🙂 August 1, 2021 at 1:49am Reply

• irem: Eau de Rochas has been on my wishlist for several Summers now. At some point I need to do something about it. Too bad it is not easily available in the US. Other fresh fragrances I enjoy very much are Ô de Lancôme and Chanel Cristalle EdT. The latter unfortunately has become a ghost: still good for the few moments it lasts, then pouf! it disappears. July 28, 2021 at 4:14pm Reply

• ra: Reading: The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue.
    Wearing: Papillon’s Angelique. Loving them both… July 26, 2021 at 10:16pm Reply

• Emily: Love these both, too! July 29, 2021 at 2:39pm Reply

• Thelma Cooper: I have been wearing ma griffe carven very subtle aroma not too heavy suits the hot weather here at the moment I’m reading the heart attack sutra a new commentary on the heart sutra by Karl Brunnholzl July 27, 2021 at 12:34am Reply

• Tara C: How do you like that commentary? I’m taking an online class on the Heart Sutra right now. August 1, 2021 at 1:51am Reply

• Thelma Cooper: Hello Tara C
        I am enjoying the commentary the reading is more understandable to the reader .I would like to know more about your online talk on the heart sutra please .
        Kindest Regards
        Thelma Cooper August 1, 2021 at 4:26am Reply

• Tara C: It is in French, through the Centre Paramita in Montréal. August 1, 2021 at 1:15pm Reply

• Ewan: I’m using an oil mixed with Oak Moss, Vanilla, Geranium, Sage, Rosemary, Green Myrtle, Bergamot , Frangipani and Pear Isolate.
    I stole the recipe from Bois de Jasmin’s article on Arquiste Parfumier and changed it a little based on the oils I have.
    My first though was ‘baroque’.

Reading ‘Aquarium’ by Viktor Suvorov July 27, 2021 at 12:57am Reply

• Emilie: Hello everyone ! I wear perfume mostly for my own enjoyment, but find it’s nice once in a while to receive compliments on my perfume 🙂 and it almost never happens to me… starting to think i smell bad ! The only perfume that ever got me compliments over the years is l’heure bleue. What are your most complimented perfumes (preferably with no sugar and no citrus) ? Thanks ! July 28, 2021 at 1:01am Reply

• Emily: Carnal Flower & Rania J’s Ambre Loup are my perfumes that get complimented the most, usually when friends go in for a hug, which didn’t happen last year so there was a compliment gap. Though it was in fact some vintage L’Heure Bleue that garnered the most effusive compliment yet. Sadly that decant is long since drained. Love my bottle of the current juice but not sure it’s a crowdpleaser. July 28, 2021 at 11:37am Reply

• Aurora: *sillage July 28, 2021 at 3:04pm Reply

• Emilie: Hi Emily, i have never smelled carnal flower but now i want to ! Based on the beautiful review on this site i might like it ! July 28, 2021 at 4:33pm Reply

• Emily: Hurray, it’s glorious! By the sillage master Dominique Ropion so should tick all your boxes. A quintessentially French take on California glamour, the best of both worlds. One of my most treasured bottles. July 29, 2021 at 12:55am Reply

• Johaboha: One of my most complimented perfumes – by Ropion as well – is soir de lune by sisley, surprisingly from all age groups and also non-perfume-wearers, even though it is quite a classical perfume. It is sweet of honey but not sugary. I also think it’s a matter of radiance of the perfume and how much you spray. August 1, 2021 at 5:57am Reply

• Aurora: Hi Emilie: My most complimented perfume is Cartier Baiser Volé. I wonder, l’Heure Bleue is famous for its spillage, maybe for other perfumes the solution might be to spray a bit more. July 28, 2021 at 3:03pm Reply

• Emilie: Hi Aurora, you are right, sillage must have something to do with it ! Does spraying on clothes rather than skin increases sillage ? Or perhaps spraying over non scented oil ? July 28, 2021 at 4:37pm Reply

• Aurora: Yes it helps the diffusion, also spray in the air and walk through it is often recommended. July 28, 2021 at 5:50pm Reply

• Karina: Most complimented is a good question! I have to say I hardly ever (if ever) get complimented on my scents. But perhaps it also takes a more generous amount of sprays on clothes, hair and skin to have a fragrance be noticed beyond a very intimate sphere. A complimented fragrance might therefore be as much about intensity as it is about the scent. What do others here think? July 31, 2021 at 5:26am Reply

• OnWingsofSaffron: Hello Emilie, I know exactly what you‘re saying! Further up I mention Cap Néroli and the two compliments I got. It is quite lovely, yet obviously a safe choice: fresh, clean, summery. Not getting complimented for your perfume, I believe, is (not entirely) but also cultural. Here in Germany where perfume isn‘t worn as naturally, as say in France, it might be seen as a bit too intimate or perhaps too close for comfort to compliment people you don‘t that well.
    I once complimented a very elegant colleague of mine on her perfume and she blanched and gasped „oh goodness, I hope I haven’t used too much“?! On the other hand I‘ve had colleagues stating pointedly that there is a „strong“ smell in the air, knowing quite well it‘s my perfume (I‘m a man). Sometimes people are complicated! July 28, 2021 at 7:01am Reply

• Emilie: Hi ! Thank you for the recommandation. I live in France, so supposedly no cultural barriers 😉 but it’s true we all have different perceptions of perfume and the impact it can have on those around us. Very often i find a perfume beautiful on someone but when i try it on myself i just don’t like it ! July 28, 2021 at 4:45pm Reply

• Cornelia Blimber: Hi Emilie! Compliments? it happens seldom to me either. Still. my nickname is ”the perfumed one”. The only compliment I ever got was on Mon Guerlain…not on my favourite L’Heure Bleue or No5. Or Joy (Patou).
    Colleagues…whispering on ”heavy perfumed ladies” ( wore JÁdore when I was a teacher.)
    But you are right…we do it for our own enjoyment! July 28, 2021 at 4:01pm Reply

• irem: Hello perfume and book lovers. I love Ô de Lancôme when the weather is really hot and humid. It feels like a pitcher of iced, tart, minty lemonade to quench one’s thirst and refresh. Granted, no mint or sweet in Ô – and that dryness is exactly what I love about it. Interestingly, I do not enjoy wearing it on cooler weather, only during the dog days of Summer. On the reading front, I am halfway through “Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants” – just for fun, and who knew that a book on liquid rocket propellants could be so engaging. Further down on my reading list are “The Summer Book” by Tove Jansson, “Empire of Pain” by Patrick Radden Keefe, and a few titles I want to reread. Maybe some Saint-Exupéry and definitely “My Sweet Orange Tree” by Vasconcelos. Too bad the last book is hard to find in the US, it is a real gem. July 28, 2021 at 4:09pm Reply

• Karina: My sweet orange tree! That brings back memories – it’s the book that showed me how a story can grip you emotionally when I first read it as a child. Hardly ever hear it mentioned anywhere… but I agree with you that it is a gem of a book. July 31, 2021 at 5:30am Reply

• irem: Hello Karina! Thank you for your comment, you made me preempt my reading queue and directly jump to My Sweet Orange Tree. Just a few pages, and the story really grips you, makes you laugh and makes you cry. August 11, 2021 at 5:59pm Reply

• Karina: Gives me joy to hear you are enjoying it. And nudged me to put it on my own (re)reading list for my upcoming holidays 🙂 August 12, 2021 at 6:24am Reply

• Sylvia Long: Thank you for the recommendations! I want to read My Sweet Orange Tree now. BTW- I found it on Amazon, EBay, and World of Books if you don’t mind buying from big retailers. Best wishes! August 16, 2021 at 11:37am Reply

• Michelle: Hola everybody! I have been reading this blog for years, being this particular read one of my favorite sections of the blog. To me, there is such an element of kindness to the sharing of knowledge and in the exchange of info… I would like to kindly ask for your input in the search for a fresh chypre/ citrusy, and long lasting please 🤩 I do struggle with longevity. On another note, I’m based in Malaga so it’s difficult to sample most of the Niche fragrances. Many thanks and happy summer to you all, stay safe xx July 29, 2021 at 2:36am Reply

• OnWingsofSaffron: Hols Michelle, you might like the perfumes of the brand Parfum d’Empire, I’m thinking of „Azemour les Orangers“ or „Iskander“ or the Corsica range. I‘m sure you can have it sent to you in Malaga! July 29, 2021 at 5:55am Reply

• OnWingsofSaffron: Hola, definitely not „hols“! Sorry!! July 29, 2021 at 5:56am Reply

• Michelle: No apologies needed 😉 thank you so much for taking the time to reply x I will research ASAP July 29, 2021 at 8:53am Reply

• Sebastian: Hi Michelle,
        there’s an outfit based in Malaga selling niche perfumes. I don’t know if they have a shop or only operate on the internet. Probably the latter, as reportedly they have only 2 employees, but anyway, you might look them up: http://www.ecuacionnatural.com Ecuación Natural S.L., CIF B01652734, Calle Hurtado de Mendoza, 19, Ent. D, 29012 Málaga (SPAIN). Email address [email protected].

As for chypre, if you like it green, one of the best chypres ever made must be Jean-Louis Scherrer “Scherrer”. It is certainly one of the best deals you can get in that genre in terms of value for money. A real classic. July 29, 2021 at 2:03pm Reply

• Michelle: Oh thank you so much Sevastian! I had totally forgot about this hidden gem of a shop! It will allow me to try out before purchasing as some of the Niche perfumes can be quite pricey when blind buying. Sherrer it is then, I have checked out the notes and review and seems totally up my street. Thanks once again, very helpful indeed 🙏 July 30, 2021 at 3:28am Reply

• Karina: Well – lucky for you the big houses make wonderful chypres! I love Mitsouko – the edt is brighter at the top if you are looking for the sparkly citruses. July 29, 2021 at 1:36pm Reply

• Michelle: Thank you Karina! I love Mitsouko, but I find it doesn’t last on me … happy day July 30, 2021 at 3:44am Reply

• Aurora: Hola Michelle: You could sample Chloe Nomade, a modern chypre. July 29, 2021 at 2:08pm Reply

• Karina: Agrees – it’s a rather good one. July 29, 2021 at 2:41pm Reply

• Michelle: Hola Aurora! That was my office scent, lovely lovely thanks for the reply x July 30, 2021 at 4:14am Reply

• Emily: Just checked the site Sebastian cited above & they have available a 5ml of Rogue Perfumery’s Chypre-Siam if you want to try a new limey chypre with the oakmoss heft of a vintage. It LASTS. July 29, 2021 at 3:05pm Reply

• Michelle: Gracias Emily! I hadn’t heard if that one. Went on good ol’ Fragrantica and seems delish x July 30, 2021 at 4:15am Reply

• Ewan: I have just sent an email and, as usual, it informed me that’ Your message has been scent ‘ and it made me think about this blog – Your message has been SCENT.

And long may it continue July 29, 2021 at 2:51am Reply

• Karina: 😁 We perfume lovers have a one track mind July 31, 2021 at 5:32am Reply

• AleNow21: Has anyone tried the new Hermes Twilly Ginger? I’d be keen to hear your thoughts. July 29, 2021 at 8:06am Reply

• Wendyr: I have a conundrum:) Looking to add to my collection after a pause for a few years. I love Guerlain Bois d”Armenie, FM Carnal Flower and almost all Ormonde Jayne perfumes. Love jasmine, soft florals, leather. Here are my choices: L’Artison Passage d”Enfer Extreme, Grandiflora Madagascar Jasmine or Parle Moi de Perfume Gardens of India. Thoughts if you have worn any of these? July 29, 2021 at 8:42am Reply

• Karina: 1 Vote for Passage d‘Enfer! July 29, 2021 at 1:25pm Reply

• Wendyr: Thank you Karina. I am leaning to Passage d’Enfer:) July 29, 2021 at 1:37pm Reply

• OnWingsofSaffron: I have „Madagascan Jasmine“ by Grandiflora which was developed by Michel Roudnitska. Now, as you probably know, we‘re not talking about the „classical“ jasmine flower here, rather about the stephanotis flower. Yes, it does have a heady jasmine-y scent but it is different. It‘s incredibly difficult to describe scent differences, yet let me—most inadequately—try: it‘s loftier; there‘s perhaps a touch more „petrol“ in the high notes; it‘s less sultry than jasmine and perhaps a bit more innocent. MJ doesn‘t last forever. I‘d say it is a lovely perfume to have in addition to others but perhaps not quite „the one and only“ to add to a limited collection. July 30, 2021 at 3:49am Reply

• Wendyr: Thank you! I can “smell” your description, so you described it well. July 30, 2021 at 7:36am Reply

• Tara C: Definitely Passage d’Enfer. August 1, 2021 at 1:57am Reply

• Wendyr: Thank you! Sounds like a very good choice. August 1, 2021 at 7:36am Reply

• Geraldine: Hello,

I am looking for scented candle recommendations. I am stuck at home for at least the next four weeks due to a COVID lockdown so I want some scents for my working and sleeping areas so that being at home all the time is a bit more pleasant. I live in the southern hemisphere, so spring is just around the corner. My last candle was Mimosa and Cardamom from Jo Malone. I am currently wearing Mitsouko or Tresor. July 30, 2021 at 5:54am Reply

• Megan: I’m not sure if you can get Nomad Noe shipped to you, but they’re great candles, and the porcelain containers into which they’re poured look great on the shelf. July 30, 2021 at 9:50am Reply

• Geraldine: Thank you Megan. I will check out their website. July 31, 2021 at 1:53am Reply

• Aurora: Pacifica candles are very good, vegan and affordable. July 31, 2021 at 1:45am Reply

• Geraldine: Thanks Aurora. I will see if they are available online. July 31, 2021 at 1:55am Reply

• Karina: Zara Home does some decent candles that don’t cost a fortune if you can get them. Also I like the Sylvaine Delacourte ones, although those cost dear. July 31, 2021 at 5:33am Reply

• Tara C: I know this company ships to Australia, not sure if they have any local stockists:

https://boujeebougies.com/ August 1, 2021 at 2:02am Reply

• Marianne: Hi there, I’m also from Australia, and recommend the Myrtle & Moss range for lovely natural scented candles, not too expensive. August 10, 2021 at 8:31pm Reply

• Megan: Hello,

I am absolutely loving a sample of Cavatina by Dusita that I purchased, except I find it doesn’t last though the course of the day. I’m looking for something like it that’s a bit more long-lasting.

The description says Cavatina was created based on the perfumer’s love for “vintage, muguet scents”. Historically, I haven’t liked many muguet perfumes because they get too heavy/metallic, but I love Dusita, so I gave hers a try. Carillon pour une ange was too “loud,” Penhaligon’s Lily of the Valley too rosy, Demeter’s soliflore is boring… I’m wondering if the bergamot and green tea notes in Cavatina made it more acceptable to me.

I tend gravitate towards white floral scents. My small collection consists of Dusita Melodie l’Amour (date night perfume), Kabeah’s Nuit de Jasmin (summer office perfume), and Abel’s Nurture (scent for when I’m stressed) – in case that helps at all with ideas.

Thanks! July 30, 2021 at 9:47am Reply

• Sebastian: Well, I’ll say what I always say at this point (and what Karina has suggested above in another context): Trying Parfum de Nicolai’s Odalisque is very worthwhile. A very good green chypre with nice lily of the valley (as good as it gets with current regulations). July 30, 2021 at 3:38pm Reply

• Karina: what Sebastian said! 😊 Also worth giving current Diorissimo a go (although I haven’t tried it myself). July 31, 2021 at 5:36am Reply

• Karina: Or longing for that just the joy and freedom of the 80s? I‘ here and I‘m going to have fun! I don’t know Amouage Gold Man, but I find that those big perfumes also have that quality too them, which is tempting (at least to me) in current times. July 31, 2021 at 5:01am Reply

• Karina: @Sebastian – this was my response to you me post above on Amouage Gold. No idea what’s why I keep posting in the wrong threads at the moment… July 31, 2021 at 5:02am Reply

• Sebastian: Might as well continue the conversation here. (The thing with the wrong thread may be a browser problem.It has happened to me with Firefox, but never with Chrome.)

Yes, indeed, that feeling may be part of it. Gold Man certainly is a boisterous and effusive type! But he’s got taste, no gold chains for him or shirts open down to the belly button. July 31, 2021 at 4:01pm Reply

• Eudora: Hello, someone recommended me Un drop d’Issey as a pretty good lilac scent. I would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks! July 31, 2021 at 3:58pm Reply

• Wendyr: Frederic Malle En Passant is like sitting in the middle of a lilac bush. It is beautiful. August 1, 2021 at 7:38am Reply

• Elle: Eudora, I have a giant bottle of Frederic Malle’s en Passant and it is tremendous. But, just as enjoyable (and way, way more affordable) is Pacifica’s French Lilac. I have the perfume and a tiny tin of solid perfume. I reach for them actually more often than I do the FM. PERFECT soliflore! Don’t know how they do it, and so inexpensively! September 11, 2021 at 2:38am Reply

• OnWingsofSaffron: As this thread is still open, a quick question: what are your experiences with Chanel Paris—Riviera? I thought the juicy beginning was delicious but any further insights to the development/ dry-down? August 2, 2021 at 3:35am Reply

• Fatou: I used to wear See by Chloe but it has been discontinued and I’m looking for something similar with jasmine, ylang-ylang, vanilla and sandalwood scent. Do you have anything in ming to recommend? Thank you August 3, 2021 at 8:35pm Reply

• Aurora: Hello Fatou: You could try Guerlain Samsara and Chanel Eau Première. August 4, 2021 at 6:00am Reply

• kpaint: Calyx and Arielle Shoshana edp come to mind. August 11, 2021 at 3:27pm Reply

• John: I’m searching for perfumes evocative of sad and melancholic feelings. I know this is entirely subjective, but I would like to know what are your “saddest” perfumes.
    Thanks in advance. August 8, 2021 at 6:28pm Reply

• Victoria: Iris and violet notes can smell melancholy to me, and fragrances like Hermes Hiris, for instance, a nostalgic, bittersweet aspect to me. Serge Lutens De Profundis is another “sad” perfume. August 9, 2021 at 5:42am Reply

• Cornelia Blimber: How interesting…De Profundis. You put sad in quotation marks, ”sad” . I never smelt that perfume, but the name is so intriguing.
        ” De profundis clamavi, Domine, exaudi vocem meam’… in that psalm there is so mutch sadness because of sins, but also hope on redemption. I wonder how that could be expressed in a perfume. Light and shadow. August 9, 2021 at 3:43pm Reply

• kpaint: Oh! Ha – I felt a little crazy for putting Misia in this category, but I see we’re on the same page here 😉 August 11, 2021 at 3:32pm Reply

• kpaint: At one point, I loved Diptyque L’Ombre dans l’Eau (I had the EdP) but with each wear found it more and more somber and eventually stopped wearing it.

Not quite the same emotion, but I find Misia (I wear the EdT) to be the ultimate expression of nostalgia, in a somewhat mournful way. This may have been in part due to my only wearing it to symphony performances, so the context may have helped to suggest this. August 11, 2021 at 3:22pm Reply

• johaboha: L’heure bleue by Guerlain is melancholic – although not exactly sad – to me. It’s maybe that in-between feeling that the name already evokes and the nostalgia of violet and carnation. August 12, 2021 at 3:22pm Reply

• Eudora: Dear Victoria, would you say that Bulgary Au the Bleu is a sad or nostalgic perfume?
    John, melancholic mood is Comme Des Garcons Avignon, almost certainly because of my Catholic early education…it is very very special to me in a nostalgic and sort of sad way. August 9, 2021 at 10:33am Reply

• Marianne: Is this thread closed? I’m new to contributing and working it all out. I’m so glad to be able to ask for advice, particularly in these Covid times when it’s much harder to look, discuss and try perfume with knowledgeable assistance. My question is that I’ve been wearing Sisley Eau de Soir for years now. I love the freshness, elegance, the quality of its composition … also that it attracts compliments such as when at work where it doesn’t put colleagues off. Can you recommend me a scent that would complement my long term favourite?
    Thank you to all of you, for your lovely posts! August 13, 2021 at 4:56am Reply

• Cornelia Blimber: Hi Marianne! No, not closed, but maybe you will get more comments if you will post next month.

You could try Diorella or Le Parfum de Therese, both fruity and elegant. Or Amazone (Hermes).
      Or do you want something completely different? Galop maybe? (see Victoria’s recent article). August 13, 2021 at 6:03am Reply

• Marianne: Thank you Cornelia. Dior is available in my city, I’m planning to try it today. I’ll also check out Amazonia in a little local perfume boutique. August 13, 2021 at 11:08pm Reply