The Glamour of Hotels

Do you like staying at hotels? Elisa shares her thoughts.

I have an ex-boyfriend who claimed to enjoy the occasional adversity – a cancelled flight, a blown-out tire. It seemed perverse to me initially, but later I came to understand his way of thinking. He didn’t look at these mishaps as lost time, but rather an opportunity to slip out of time. If you’re stuck somewhere and can’t get to work, no one is to blame; so why not enjoy the escape from obligation, the change of scenery?

I travel semi-frequently for work, and because travel is tiring and stressful, I’ve adopted a version of my ex’s philosophy to make the most of it. I try to embrace the changes in routine for their novelty value, rather than feeling inconvenienced. And the part I look forward to most – even though I’m not on vacation and have minimal time to spend there – is the hotel.

hotel_view

My room on a recent stay at the Ames Hotel in Boston

In the tradition of The Pillow Book, let’s make a list:

Things that Delight at Luxurious Hotels

The immaculately clean bathrooms.

Glass and marble showers. Fancy toiletries. A fluffy white robe.

Huge windows framing unfamiliar views.

King-sized beds. Abundant pillows. Clean white sheets.

Ice buckets. A well-stocked minibar (even if I don’t touch it).

The smell of fresh flowers in the lobby.

Mirrored elevators with soft lighting. Nodding hello to strangers as they get on and off.

The formal attentiveness of the staff, the Good morning’s and How was your stay?’s

hotel_bathroom

A gleaming-clean bathroom, pre-unpacking (the soaps are Molton Brown!)

Part of the pleasure of a hotel stay for work-related travel is the solitude. I have the room entirely to myself – I can sleep in the middle of the bed, I can use all the hangers in the closet. It can even feel like a retreat. I’ve developed a set of rituals on my travels, little indulgences that have become almost ceremonial. My hotel rituals include:

Ordering a glass of wine at the hotel bar and then bringing it up to the room. (Sometimes I buy a bottle of wine at a nearby shop to drink over the course of my stay, but I always request a stemmed glass from the bar, because drinking from a tumbler somewhat spoils the pleasure of the wine.)

Painting my nails. My nails inevitably get chipped in the airport, going through security, or while rearranging my belongings on the flight, so I like to pack or buy a bottle of polish and start fresh from the hotel.

hotel_corner

Paddywax Apothecary Geranium & Basil candle and Essie Pret-a-Surfer

Watching TV while I get ready in the morning. I especially like to turn on MTV and use it like the radio – early morning seems to be the only time that MTV returns to its original form and plays music videos back to back.

Scenting the room. Lately I’ve been bringing along a travel candle, but sometimes I’ll use the perfume I’ve brought along as room spray or to scent the sheets.

hotel_perfumes

My most recent travel perfume stash

On long trips – more than four or five days – I purposely overpack. This is because I like to have options. So I pack a little capsule wardrobe that can be mixed and matched, with a few spare items so I never feel trapped into my last available outfit at the end of the trip. Also, I often shop while traveling, so I make sure there’s a little extra room in my suitcase. (Often, in Boston, I’ve had to buy new footwear when the weather took an unexpected turn for the worse.)

I like to have plenty of perfume options too. For an eight-day trip in May, I brought along four large decants, a small rollerball and two samples. I used them all at least once!

One final tradition is the hotel selfie – a record of the self in time and space, facilitated by larger mirrors (and a tidier background) than I have at home. (My best friend and I send outfit pics to each other for fashion and color scheme inspiration. She made me the necklace I’m wearing below.)

hotel_selfie

Do you find delight in hotels? I would love to hear your travel rituals, perfume-related or otherwise!

• Lizzy K: I’ve always adored hotels for the exact same reason. On a separate note, I love your outfit! June 20, 2016 at 7:37am Reply

• Elisa: Thank you Lizzy!! June 21, 2016 at 9:17am Reply

• Andy: As I’m about to embark on a trip, hotels have been in my consciousness lately. My favorite travel habit is bringing some really nice teabags in my carry on bag, and getting hot water on the plane. The water sometimes has terrible off-flavors, but the ritual allows me to feel like I’m luxuriating in a small, personal way that nobody else around me is. I also like to (try) and bring just one fragrance with me to any new destination, so that the memory of the trip gets attached (for better or worse) to that perfume. June 20, 2016 at 8:30am Reply

• Elisa: I love the tea idea!

I’ve heard of this trick of taking one perfume on a trip so that you’ll associate the scent with that place. I’d like to try this for a longer vacation to a new place! June 20, 2016 at 9:45am Reply

• Andy: The personal bonus I didn’t mention is that having just one fragrance with me doesn’t make me feel guilty about bringing an entire bottle along, as opposed to a selection of decants and samples (which would take me too long to choose between). Travel is the only occasion in which I have fun seeing how well I can get by with a minimum of things for the most amount of time–a fun little self-deprivation game, if you will. June 20, 2016 at 4:04pm Reply

• Elisa: I like your “self-deprivation game” approach, I fear it would just make me shop more in my destination though! 🙂 June 20, 2016 at 4:59pm Reply

• Tijana: I do the same (re. attaching one fragrance to the place!). I tend to buy a new fragrance wherever I am (previously researched heavily to ensure I like it ;-)), however, if the destination does not have a good perfume shopping scene, I bring one of the newer ones I acquired and use it the entire time I am there…

When traveling for business, I tend not to unpack too much, but I need to change that attitude and see if I can adopt a more relaxed one like you, Elisa. I am good that way for personal travel, because I enjoy it immensely, but I still need to overcome my reluctance to business travel…

Great article, thank you! June 20, 2016 at 10:11am Reply

• Elisa: Thank you Tijana! Business travel is a pain so we have to find ways to make it enjoyable 🙂 June 20, 2016 at 10:20am Reply

• Patricia: I do the (mostly) one scent/one destination, too, Andy. It really works when you want to conjure up memories of your trip. June 20, 2016 at 10:19am Reply

• Elisa: Can you tell us a couple of scents that you’ve associated with vacations? June 20, 2016 at 10:21am Reply

• Patricia: Two that immediately come to mind are Bobbi Brown Beach and Prada Infusion d’Iris Absolue. I wore the Beach constantly during a trip to Bermuda five years ago, and serves as a great scent memory of that beautiful place. I bought the Absolue when it first came out and I was visiting my younger daughter in Minneapolis. Now it reminds me both of Minneapolis and my daughter! June 20, 2016 at 10:35am Reply

• Elisa: That’s lovely! I’m going on a little vacation this summer with my parents in New Mexico; I’m going to try to stick with one perfume for the week. June 20, 2016 at 10:40am Reply

• Patricia: Have you decided which one? June 20, 2016 at 10:46am Reply

• Elisa: Nope, but I’m thinking something desert-y, maybe one of Tauer’s incenses. June 20, 2016 at 10:47am Reply

• Patricia: Nice! June 20, 2016 at 10:53am Reply

• Andy: It does the trick for me too. The scent associations you mentioned are lovely ones, especially the Infusion d’Iris Absolue connection with your daughter. My strongest associations of scents to places I wore them are London with Habit Rouge, and Cape May, New Jersey (a sweet little Victorian beach town) with Mistral Patchouli. June 20, 2016 at 3:58pm Reply

• Lucy: Getting my exercise by walking in a new city or in their exercise room and drinking the citrus scented water June 20, 2016 at 10:02am Reply

• Elisa: Yes I love when the hotel lobby has infused water. June 21, 2016 at 9:18am Reply

• Portia: Hey Elisa,
    It’s been a while since I travelled solo so many of the things you love about hotels aren’t on my list nowadays.
    I do love to discover new bath products while in hotels and get quite annoyed if I love something and then can’t buy full sizes of them in store.
    Really love that most hotels we stay in have breakfast where we fall out of bed and wander down. During breakfast as we become more awake and alive I do the postcard writing and we plan our day. Then we go get ready and our day has started quite relaxed and informal before the madness begins.
    Portia xx June 20, 2016 at 10:09am Reply

• Elisa: I stayed at a hotel a couple years ago that had all Rose 31 bath products — I stole away with a few bars of soap and bottles of lotion and I still have some of them! June 20, 2016 at 10:22am Reply

• Panna: That’s the Fairmont group! I love Le Labo’s Rose 31 and try to stay at Fairmont hotels whenever I can because of that, hehe. I sometimes slip the housekeepers a tidy little tip to keep us well stocked, esp on extended stays. 😉 June 20, 2016 at 2:55pm Reply

• Elisa: Aha! I believe it was at the InterContinental on the waterfront in Boston. June 20, 2016 at 2:57pm Reply

• Marge Clark: I am perhaps overly aware of the germ factor in hotel rooms (there have been too many tv horror – documentaries about this!) so I travel with a pleasantly scented antibacterial and antiviral Essential Oil blend. A few drops on a tissue tucked up against the air intake vent of the A/C takes away any chemical scents from cleaning products used and makes my room smell like home. I have a friend who wipes down the phone and TV remote with HER germbeater blend, AND takes the A/C filter out and washes it in the sink. But I’m not that germophobic 😉 You have made me look forward to my next trip even more, thank you! June 20, 2016 at 10:21am Reply

• Elisa: Oh, I try just not to think about the germs!! Hotels always seem much cleaner than my own apartment, haha…. June 20, 2016 at 10:23am Reply

• Jovan: When it comes to germ patrol, I NEVER leave home without my lavender “baby” wipes. I buy them in bulk at my local Walgreens Pharmacy.
      They are the one travel item I cannot live without. June 20, 2016 at 11:01am Reply

• Patricia: I love the constant coffee refills during breakfast in a nice hotel. 🙂 My favorite item to pack is a U-shaped Tempur-pedic neck pillow. While it’s both bulky and heavy to pack, it allows sleep in the plane and provides support for nighttime reading in bed. My neck thanks me for it every time I’m able to fit it in my carry-on! June 20, 2016 at 10:27am Reply

• Elisa: Smart thinking. I can almost never sleep on the plane. June 20, 2016 at 10:40am Reply

• Patricia: Haha! I sound like such a granny 🙂 June 20, 2016 at 10:56am Reply

• Sylvia: Elisa,
    Great ideas! I’m the ‘what does the soap smell like?’ Soul- so I delight in checking out the soaps and body washes the first moments we arrive.
    Please Tell me about the Molton Brown line. I don’t know I’m familiar with that one.
    I recently came across the most fabulously orange and lime scented soap- forgot to check out the brand!
    When we travel we always look for a place with a hot tub to relax after work time.
    I like breakfast outside if it’s sunny, with my morning reading and coffee- so I always scout out a lani.
    Which gives me a chance to check out the beautiful flowering plants!
    Thanks!
    S June 20, 2016 at 10:47am Reply

• Elisa: Yes to breakfast outside! A couple of years ago we went to a wedding in Southern California and our hotel room had a little deck, which was so nice to sit out and read on.

The Molton Brown products are in the Coco & Sandalwood scent — really nice. You can find them at Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus. June 20, 2016 at 10:50am Reply

• Jovan: Yes, hotels…love them! My favorite indulgence is ordering room service. I enjoy everything about the formal ritual (except the price-LOL) yet still it’s often how I judge a hotel, how they handle room service, from the flower in a bud vase perched at the edge of the tray, or the unusual serving pieces that hold my french toast, and fruit … then there’s the darling miniature salt & pepper shakers.

Everything about room service can be an unexpected delight. Sometimes even the quick service! June 20, 2016 at 10:58am Reply

• Elisa: Yes, the price of room service can be painful! But so indulgent. June 20, 2016 at 11:02am Reply

• keychange: I love this post! I can also relate to “marking” trips with a scent, and of course my hope is to acquire the perfume while I’m there, but obviously not all destinations really allow for that. And I can relate to the joys of staying at one: the sheets, the huge bed, the scents they have (some have taken to having their own signature fragrance scenting the air, which I love), and my favourite: ordering room service to eat in bed with some wine. When my husband and I need some down time and a (relatively) inexpensive escape in our own town, we’ll get a hotel room for a night and just be happy we’ve steppe dout of our lives for a while. We won’t get to do that nearly as much (we are expecting in October), but hopefully those “escapes” will be ours to enjoy again soon. June 20, 2016 at 11:02am Reply

• Elisa: I love the idea of getting a hotel room in your own town! A new twist on the staycation.

(And congrats!!!) June 21, 2016 at 9:19am Reply

• Phyllis Iervello: I love hotels. Hotels mean vacation to me even if I have to stay at one while attending a wedding. It is a break from every day life to be in a different city and/or country. I always pack light, but bring 2 or 3 mini bottles of perfume and always comfortable shoes. June 20, 2016 at 11:05am Reply

• Elisa: I especially like getting ready for a wedding in a hotel room! June 20, 2016 at 11:17am Reply

• silverdust: And don’t forget about the hotel that smelled so good they marketed a popular perfume: Hotel Coste! June 20, 2016 at 12:05pm Reply

• Elisa: I love that scent! June 20, 2016 at 12:06pm Reply

• Ardis: I DEF LOVE hotels. I love the cleanliness (usually) and quietness (usually) about them and being in one feels like I am hidden away from the world 🙂 June 20, 2016 at 2:41pm Reply

• Elisa: Yes there’s something anonymous about them that adds to the air of secrecy. June 21, 2016 at 9:20am Reply

• Neva: Thank you for the nice ideas how to make a stay in a hotel more pleasant. I mostly travel for business so I don’t associate hotels with holidays. Because of that I never feel relaxed when entering a hotel room. I know that I will practically only sleep there, hardly have time to read or enjoy the bathroom. Just like you, in the morning I always listen to MTV which I never do normally 🙂 The next time I enter the room is late afternoon and I have maybe one hour to get ready for dinner. I’m too stressed at that point to remember turning the music on, a quick shower, legs up the wall for ten minutes and then getting dressed again. I don’t even take my clothes out of the suitcase.
    The bathrooms can be very nice. I like when there are more light sources and I like to play with them. Sometimes the bath products are interesting. Then I take them home with me and try them out in the peace of my home. I stumbled across Molton Brown once in a hotel in Hilton Head Island. Japanese Orange body wash was fantastic!
    Next time I’ll go to a hotel I’ll take your advice and bring along scented candles. That’s such a good idea! June 20, 2016 at 3:08pm Reply

• Elisa: I never used to bring a candle until my husband once gave me a travel candle in my stocking at Christmas, now I always try to pack one! Even if you never light it, it scents the room and adds a little personal touch. June 20, 2016 at 3:13pm Reply

• spe: Love the scent of the Molton Brown lotion. Have tried to find a scent that smells like it!

Having stayed in SO MANY low budget Y’s, etc, in my young adult years (way too many years as a student), I’m now a hotel snob. When staying at your hotel “compound” beats going into the city, you know you’ve made a fabulous choice.

My favorite parts? Impeccable service and an awesome gym / spa. Add in spectacular grounds and that’s all I need for an amazing vacation.

Elisa, it’s so fun to read about your rituals and experiences. We both take a handful of perfume samples! Our main difference is that I don’t over pack. If I could just take my purse and have one gym outfit and one fancy dress, I’m good to go. Oh, and laundry service makes it really perfect!

Thank you for a fun post! June 20, 2016 at 3:19pm Reply

• Elisa: The coco sandalwood one? I’ve been trying to think of one! the sandalwood note is a bit like the one in Santal Majuscule but it’s less rich and it’s got that cocoa butter backing.

I too am very snobby about hotels. I hate having to stay in a Marriott or something with absolutely no character. June 20, 2016 at 3:23pm Reply

• spe: We were recently at Mere in Vancouver. They had cocoa sandalwood Molton B bath products but the normal, original lotion. That’s the one I like – the original. It smells fabulous! June 21, 2016 at 8:42am Reply

• Elisa: It’s really good and I feel like on my legs, it doesn’t really conflict with my perfume. June 21, 2016 at 9:21am Reply

• Surbhi: I travel with few essential oils on most of my trips. As soon as I enter a bottle I put few drops of oil on cotton ball and put it in few areas.

For the most part I carry my own soaps or skin care. But I do smell the moisturizer they provide. Recently I in a hotel in New York I found a niche skin care line. I forgot the name though.

I generally carry bathing salts / or lush bath bombs if I plan to walk a lot on the trip. Nothing like a hot bath after lots of miles on foot.

Perfume depends on the vacation type. But Carnal Flower will be part of every beach vacation. I carry 1 bottle and few samples / travel size. I wear no perfume or a light citrusy on the flights. When I have to smell scents that I can’t smell it makes me cranky. So I don’t want to put others’ through that. June 20, 2016 at 4:57pm Reply

• Elisa: I generally bring my own moisturizer as well because the lotion the hotel provides is always scented and could interfere with my perfume. But they’re nice to throw in my purse for hand cream. I recently stayed at a hotel that had a nice selection of Nest bath products which all smelled great. June 20, 2016 at 5:00pm Reply

• MJ: I travel for work a few days in the year, and most of the time to Porto (Portugal) where my boss has his office. I always go to the same hotel. It’s a nice one, with a wonderful array of breakfast pastries (Portuguese ones are the best!), nice, big comfy beds and a “menu” of pillows. I always carry my lotions and potions as the hotel ones are not very inspiring.
    What I always, always bring with me is a sheet mask, the Korean ones. After a day of meetings is nice to have a mini facial with one of these masks.

Then when I leave, at the airport I stock up in Castelbell soaps and Regina chocolates. Wonderful souvenirs! June 20, 2016 at 5:14pm Reply

• Elisa: Oh my. That hotel sounds fabulous. June 20, 2016 at 6:52pm Reply

• spe: MJ would you mind providing the name of the hotel in Porto? It sounds fabulous! June 21, 2016 at 8:45am Reply

• mj: Hi Spe!

the hotel is not exactly in Porto but in Vilanova de Gaia, the city right across the Douro River, where all the Porto wine cellars are located. It’s Meliá Vilanova di Gaia (formerly a Holiday Inn). This hotel has a fitness room located at floor 22, where you can have fabulous views of the river and the nearby Porto.
        If you prefer to be in Porto, Hotel Infantes de Sagres, right in the center of Porto and with a Castelbell shop in its premises, is your best bet. June 21, 2016 at 9:10am Reply

• spe: Wonderful- thank you for the information! June 27, 2016 at 1:07am Reply

• Crazycrooner: Ordering room service! Breakfast especially!
    Yes, painting my nails. Mine break handling luggage.
    Bringing bottle of perfume – a complete no no. Instead travalos.
    Selfies. In the hotel pool. All the better. June 20, 2016 at 5:16pm Reply

• Elisa: Sounds like you make the most of hotels like me! June 20, 2016 at 6:52pm Reply

• Brenda: I really enjoyed this article – I used to travel frequently & always enjoyed unlocking that door to see my “temporary home”. The first thing I always did was gather up all of the paper advertisements /tv ads/channel info., etc. & put them in a drawer. I scent the room with what I chose to bring – set out hm book, etc. – & it feels wonderful and calming. I agree with you -love a great hotel room! June 20, 2016 at 11:46pm Reply

• Elisa: I love that moment too, Brenda! Although in this day and age one of my first steps is to quickly check for bedbugs….a couple of people who found them in hotel rooms have made me paranoid! June 21, 2016 at 9:23am Reply

• MaureenC: Though I am very extrovert I live in a busy house and I’m surrounded by people when I work. So I adore travelling alone and the odd occasion when I have a hotel room to myself is blisssssssssss. I don’t have to talk to anyone for just a little while. It’s a bit like meditating but more comfortable and with wine. June 21, 2016 at 3:09am Reply

• Elisa: Like meditating but with wine…I’m right there with you! June 21, 2016 at 9:23am Reply

• Figuier: What a lovely article Elisa – as the mother of a 7-month-old I’m not really in a position to travel solo in any form, so reading it provided me with a nice moment of imaginative escapism.

Very few of the hotels I’ve stayed in, for work or holidays, have been anything like as comfortable as the ones you describe. I tend to stick to the budget end of the scale! But I do love a spotless bathroom and a daily supply of clean towels. And the very best is a hotel pool. Nothing beats being able to just get into the lift in your bathrobe and step out at the poolside 🙂 June 21, 2016 at 6:02am Reply

• Elisa: Even when I’m traveling on my company’s dime, I try to save a little money by using sites like Hotwire to find a deal on a nice hotel. If you’re not traveling during a city’s most busy tourist season, you can usually get a good deal on a luxury hotel! June 21, 2016 at 9:25am Reply

• Figuier: P.S. Love that necklace! Your friend has talent. June 21, 2016 at 6:03am Reply

• Niche: I recently stayed at the Ames hotel too. It’s a lovely, simple hotel. And yes I was so excited by the Molton Brown products. Usually I don’t like the scents of hotel bath products but this was pretty good. I never take the bottles home but this time I did. June 21, 2016 at 7:13am Reply

• Elisa: I wish I had taken more of them! June 21, 2016 at 9:26am Reply

• Lizzie S: The first thing I do in hotels is open all the drawers and look at the stationary. This habit rewarded me during a layover in Lisbon en route to East Africa in the Hotel Mondiale, when upon opening the drawer I found a large bottle of Chanel No19 EDP still in its wrapper that someone hasd left behind! This is the perfume that I wore at the time and still do! Who knows what the back story was but it was serendipity at its best for me 🙂 June 21, 2016 at 11:24am Reply

• Elisa: Wow, that is quite a lucky find! June 21, 2016 at 11:38am Reply

• Sylvie: I recently stayed at a hotel that delivered a fresh rose (on the pillow) with turn-down service every night. I have nothing against the more usual chocolate, but to me this was a lovely touch. June 21, 2016 at 7:45pm Reply

• Elisa: That is a REALLY nice touch. June 21, 2016 at 8:36pm Reply

• Kari: I don’t travel very frequently and when I do, it’s only occasionally somewhere where we would stay in a hotel. I find some things very pleasurable (it’s clean, it’s novel) and others annoying (having to bring small selections of toiletries and cosmetics and, most importantly, loose leaf tea and tea supplies with me; living out of a suitcase, and feeling like my luggage smells like that stale, somewhat rancid “airplane smell”; and often, having to heat my water for tea in a Keurig that leaves behind a stain and taste of stale coffee and can only be brewed one tiny mug at a time as that’s the only hot water appliance. Having good, freshly brewed loose leaf tea is really important!
    Last time I traveled by air-the first time since embarking on this perfume journey-I was too nervous about leaks, so brought a collection of solid Lush perfumes with me instead. Next time maybe I’ll be braver and being decants where I have a backup full bottle at home. June 26, 2016 at 3:17am Reply

• Kari: To return to your original question, my ritual is to wake up and make tea from the nice leaves and travel tea infusers or bags I brought from home, which helps me start the day relaxed and happy. At night, my ritual is to read a new book, but not one that’s so riveting that I have trouble falling asleep (insomnia is bad enough while traveling!)
      Last time I traveled, in May, I was alone and I made a solo date with myself at a restaurant that had excellent reviews. I know that’s not novel, but I really don’t go out to eat by myself in my normal life, let alone chat with other patrons during happy hour and take a drink recommendation from the bartender, who whipped up one of the best cocktails I’d ever had. It made me feel more at home and happy to have a solo adventure in this unfamiliar city. June 26, 2016 at 3:25am Reply

• Elisa: That’s nice! I also don’t really dine out alone unless I’m traveling. June 26, 2016 at 1:19pm Reply

• Elisa: I always keep my perfume in my carry-on bag rather than packing it as it seems like a better safeguard against leaks! June 26, 2016 at 1:16pm Reply

• Kari: Definitely. I had a bad experience once with macadamia-coconut syrup exploding in a suitcase on the way home from Hawaii-even bagged, it was awful. I wouldn’t trust perfumes or decants in checked luggage. Not to mention the risk of being subject to temperature extremes! June 29, 2016 at 10:39pm Reply

• Elisa: Yikes! I heard a horror story once about a broken bottle of red wine in a suitcase… June 30, 2016 at 11:04am Reply

• Victoria: *about to pack a bottle of red wine into my suitcases and having second thoughts!* July 1, 2016 at 2:38am Reply

• Elisa: If you do, pack it VERY WELL! July 1, 2016 at 9:10am Reply

• Victoria: Well, it doesn’t fit, so that solves the problem. 🙂 July 1, 2016 at 12:02pm Reply

• SilverMoon: Hello Elisa,

loved reading your post, because I travel a lot for work. It is lovely to stay in a really posh hotel, but this doesn’t always happen. So, I really enjoy my stay as much as possible. The problem with work travel is that inevitably one barely spends any time in the room – late in and out early. My hotel room ritual is to unpack everything, even if only there for a night. Also, love it if the bathroom and shower is spacious. Always take some perfume along – more than one even if only for a short trip. After all, I never know what I will be in the mood for and I want some choice. I have considered taking scented candles, but have never done this (so far). June 27, 2016 at 9:17pm Reply

• Elisa: Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed it! I also like to have a lot of perfume options because you never know. June 27, 2016 at 11:47pm Reply

• Michele: I rarely get time to sit still. So I book a room with a deep bath and fold out screens that view the TV. Set up a fabulous glass of wine, a cup of tea, fingernail polish, razor for the legs, a few fine chocolates, and other task items. Scent the steaming bath with essential oil and set the TV to a good movie. Slowly do the beauty tasks, top up the hot water when needed…and relax. June 28, 2016 at 10:23am Reply

• Elisa: Dream life!! I’ve only managed to get a hotel room with a tub once or twice. Used it if I had time! June 28, 2016 at 10:25am Reply

• matty1649 in Chanel Chance Perfume Giveaway: I’ve loved reading all the suggestions for surviving winter. Wrapping up in a cosy fluffy throw reading. Wearing a spicy perfume. Lighting lots of candles. I’m in the Uk so… January 31, 2023 at 6:23am

• Tiffany Thiele in Chanel Chance Perfume Giveaway: What a treat to read everyone’s suggestions to make winter easier. I feel like I’ve already won a great gift just by reading all the wonderful suggestions! Here are a… January 31, 2023 at 12:14am

• Yafo in Chanel Chance Perfume Giveaway: I just try to be in a good mood even with the sun gone earlier in the day. Thinking in a “thankful” way helps and looking forward to warmer weather… January 30, 2023 at 9:45pm

• joan ramirez in Chanel Chance Perfume Giveaway: To boost my mood I use lavender spray and read from favorite passages in a historical novel from one of my favorite authors. Then, I meditate. January 30, 2023 at 7:39pm