Comme des Garcons Black : New Perfume

Comme des Garçons recently launched Black Eau de Toilette. It includes notes of black pepper, Somalian incense, leather, licorice, birch tar, vetiver, and cedarwood.  The original concept was developed in 2009 “in response to the general negativity engendered by the recession and to counter the feeling of things being blocked or stopped because of the crisis” (as quoted in the press release). A tall order for a perfume, perhaps, but Comme des Garçons excels at dark and smoky blends.

cdg black

Already available in Comme des Garçons boutiques and luckyscent.com. 100ml spray bottle/$100

• marsi: Huh? Does birch tar release negativity? 😀 April 23, 2013 at 8:49am Reply

• Heather: For some reason I’m a sucker for perfumes with “black” or “noire” or similar in the name. I’m fooled nearly every time. Recently I went out to find and try the new Gucci Guilty Black, and it was an awful fruity thing like all the others, and I was actually surprised. I would love to experience more of the truly dark in perfume. April 23, 2013 at 9:13am Reply

• Victoria: I’ve tried it briefly on the blotter today, but CdG Black really seems black. Lots of tar, lots of smoke, lots of pepper. My biggest “black” disappointment was probably Dahlia Noir. It’s an ok fragrance, but not black or dark or dramatic at all! April 23, 2013 at 9:30am Reply

• Daisy: Coco Noir was pretty disappointing too . . . April 23, 2013 at 5:13pm Reply

• Victoria: Yes, it didn’t move me at all. It’s a well-done fragrance, but not all that original. April 24, 2013 at 5:29am Reply

• Tara C: Tar, smoke and pepper? Sounds right up my alley! Luckyscent has already sold out of their samples but they expect more by the end of the week… Looking forward to sniffing this one. April 23, 2013 at 11:03am Reply

• Victoria: It’s interesting, even though tar and smoke is not the easiest combination to wear! 🙂 Robin posted at NST that it’s also available at Aedes, so they might have samples too. April 23, 2013 at 11:40am Reply

• maja: Oh, no, not licorice 🙂 April 23, 2013 at 1:47pm Reply

• Victoria: It’s not overly strong, at least not on the blotter, but it’s noticeable. April 23, 2013 at 3:00pm Reply

• Daisy: I like licorice, smoke, leather, and incense. Those pretty much up there for favorite notes, but I worry that having them all in one fragrance will just lead to disappointment . . .

Well, we can always just try it! It is only perfume after all 🙂 April 23, 2013 at 5:15pm Reply

• Victoria: Exactly! It’s a low commitment deal. 🙂 April 24, 2013 at 5:30am Reply

• Amer: very VERY VEEERYYYYY intrigued! April 23, 2013 at 5:15pm Reply

• Victoria: I need to wear it properly, but it’s interesting. April 24, 2013 at 5:28am Reply

• André: Gave it a proper try today. Black pepper from top to bottom. I would venture to guess that the black pepper is the result of a new aromachemical because it is potent and unlike any black pepper note I have experienced. The resulting composition is, to put it kindly, top-heavy and eventually collapses under the staggering weight of the enormous pepper note. Eight hours later I am left with a wan cedar note sprinkled with (you guessed it) black pepper. A few additional notes: the projection is magnificent for the first two hours and the composition has the slightly industrial feel that Comme des Garçons fans will, no doubt, appreciate. I usually count myself among them, but this composition is, unfortunately, a bit too heavy-handed for me. April 25, 2013 at 8:59pm Reply

• Victoria: I agree with your description and also that it’s potent and borderline unwearable. But I appreciate its oddity. April 26, 2013 at 7:48am Reply

• Victoria in The Secret of Scent or Adventures in Provence: No, I didn’t know it, but I approve (on principle; from an economic perspective, I don’t know if it makes sense.) There are small bookstores around Brussels, but they’re very… December 9, 2016 at 4:43pm

• Victoria in Asya’s Idea of Paradise: Very glad to hear it. 🙂 December 9, 2016 at 4:41pm

• Victoria in Asya’s Idea of Paradise: Is it the one that looks like a bell? If so, I remember tasting it a couple of times, and what I loved even more than the taste was texture.… December 9, 2016 at 4:40pm

• Maria in Asya’s Idea of Paradise: I don’t think so, but I’m not sure about it. I promise you next time I will see them I will inhale leur aroma. There was also an exotic fruit… December 9, 2016 at 4:23pm

© Copyright 2005-2016 Bois de Jasmin. All rights reserved.